Let’s review a couple details about where we’re headed. First, the essay:
Here is a helpful schemata for you to follow while writing your essay:
- Make a POINT:
- The central idea from (the text) is (idea/claim).
- In the text, (author) claims that (idea).
- (Idea) is the main idea of the (the text).
- The argument in the text is (idea/claim).
- In the text, the author’s point of view is (idea/claim)
- PROVE your point:
- For example, in the text, it says “_______”.
- For instance, the author states that “________”.
- An example of this is “_____________”
- Furthermore, in the text, the author argues that “_________”.
- According to the (website,newspaper/text), “__________”.
- COMMENT on how your proof explains your point.
- This evidence suggests that _____ because _______.
- This shows that _____ because ________.
- This demonstrates why/how ___________.
- This is significant because ___________.
- Such evidence highlights the ways in which _________.
- The author’s use of _________ illustrates how _____.
- The author’s reasoning clearly shows how ______.